Thursday, November 03, 2005

Beethoven

Letter from Beethoven to his nephew:

Baden, August 16, 1823.

My dear boy,

I did not wish to say anything to you till I found my health improving here, which, however, is scarcely even yet the case.... Nothing can be more tempting (to me at least) than the enjoyment of beautiful Nature at these baths, but nous sommes trop pauvres, et il faut écrire ou de n'avoir pas de quoi. Get on, and make every preparation for your examination, and be unassuming, so that you may prove yourself higher and better than people expect. Send your linen here at once; your gray trousers must still be wearable, at all events at home; for, my dear son, you are indeed very dear to me!

My address is, "At the coppersmith's," &c. Write instantly to say that you have got this letter. I will send a few lines to that contemptible creature, Schindler, though I am most unwilling to have anything to do with such a wretch. If we could write as quickly as we think and feel, I could say a great deal not a little remarkable; but for to-day I can only add that I wish a certain Carl may prove worthy of all my love and unwearied care, and learn fully to appreciate it.

Though not certainly exacting, as you know, still there are many ways in which we can show those who are better and nobler than ourselves that we acknowledge their superiority.

I embrace you from my heart.

Your faithful and true father.

The following is from:
http://www.jamesweggreview.org/Reviews_Film/Bailey_Barbato_Rotello

“Wicked I am not, truly I am not wicked;Though wild up‑surgings often may plead against my heart” - Ludwig van Beethoven(from a letter to a friend)

Beethoven’s nephew... attempted suicide to escape his legal guardian’s obsessive rearing. But was the never-married genius gay?

Did he have relations with his whoring sister-in-law’s son?

Was his “Immortal Beloved” ... a man?...

“Behind this portrait, my dear, good Steffen, all that happened between us for a time shall be hidden forever. I know I have rent your heart. My own emotion, which you must surely have noticed, has been insufficient punishment for this offence.”

- Ludwig van Beethoven(from a letter to Stephan von Breuning.

The following is from Paris/Opera/1829/beethoven:

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Opera/1829/beethoven.html

Beethoven's father was an unstable and vicious man. Early in his son's life he realized his genius and the rewards it could reap. At the age of four, Ludwig was made to repeat the successes of Handel, Bach and Mozart.Beethoven was shut into a garret and made to practice for hours on end at the piano and violin. It is said that his sole companion was a spider who would crawl out of the corner and perch on the little boy's violin....

Beethoven had immense affection for his nephew, Carl. He lavished all his attention on the boy whom had shown great promise. However, his upbringing had ruined him. Beethoven was dedicated to educating him and saving him from his enviroment.

A long lawsuit followed in order to gain custody of Carl which was very distressing on him. "Oh God, aid me! Hear my prayer which I make to Thee, that at least for the future I may live with my Carl! Oh cruel fate, implacable destiny...No, no my unhappiness will never end!"In the end, Beethoven won the lawsuit.

However, happiness was not to follow. Carl was unmotivated and failed at most things and he showed no gratitude.His uncle still did his best to reform him. He loved him until the end and believed he could help him. Carl was once quoted at saying "I have become worse because my uncle wished me to do better." He had failed in all that he had been given the chance to do.



~~

No comments: